Hi  Michael,

When unit-testing a package, the first test should be to test if a
connection to basexserver can be established. This is not difficult, in
fact the first thing I do in my code, is opening a connection so I
already know that my code works.
But what does it mean when an attempt to open a connection fails? Does
this mean that there is an error in my code or does the attempt fail
because there is no Basexserver running? So if you want to test the
code, you first have to be certain that a server is running.

Using Google, I found this solution when using Linux.
In linux, you can use  the 'ps -fC java' command to see which processes
are running in java. 'ps -fC java | grep basex | echo $?' returns 0,
meaning that a basexserver-instance is running. I guess that it will be
easy to incorporate this command in a R-function.

Do you know if a similar command is available for Windows?

Ben
PS. What do you mean with BaseX:123456789?