Dear Bridger,

> I was wondering if anyone would have an insight for me as to why the
> following expression is wrong:
>
> for $s in ("/a/b/c", "/1/2/3")
> let $t := $s => tokenize("/")[last()]
> return $t

This is due to the grammar rules of XQuery 3.1, which mandate that
“=>” is followed by an “ArrowFunctionSpecifier” and an “ArgumentList”.
Here are some production rules from the spec:

[96] ArrowExpr ::= UnaryExpr ( "=>" ArrowFunctionSpecifier ArgumentList )*
[127] ArrowFunctionSpecifier ::= EQName | VarRef | ParenthesizedExpr
[122] ArgumentList ::= "(" (Argument ("," Argument)*)? ")"
…

The arrow function specifier can be an EQName, a variable reference or
a parenthesized expression. The last one will do the job:

for $s in ("/a/b/c", "/1/2/3")
let $t := ($s => tokenize("/"))[last()]
return $t

Hope this helps,