Hi Kristian,

> If I choose the correct paths to the database and repository folders and
> choose quit from the menu and start the GUI again, then the values have been
> reverted to the old and wrong ones.

The BaseX configuration is stored in a .basex file, either a global
one in your home directory or a local one in your project directory
[1]. If you change the setting in the preferences tab and close BaseX,
the .basex file should be updated.

If that’s not the case, I wonder if it’s a permission problem. You
could start the BaseX GUI with the -d flag on command line and check
what’s output when BaseX is closed. It could also be a Java/Mac issue:
Does it make a difference if you close BaseX via the close icon or the
menu item?

If we don’t manage to find the culprit, you can always edit the
correspondig .basex file manually.

Hope this helps,
Christian

[1] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Configuration