…hardly possible to give a concise and distinct answer on this. If you
use basic JavaScript without any frameworks (Angular, React, VueJS,
etc.), you may need to pass on all data to the server via the POST
request (triggered by your input form) and generate a server-side
answer which includes the chosen values.

Once again, the DBA code includes various examples for that. See e.g.
[1] for the user form, which contains a select element list with the
permissions.

[1]
https://github.com/BaseXdb/basex/blob/master/basex-api/src/main/webapp/dba/users/user.xqm