I can report that I know have what appears to be a stable BaseX system of
multiple instances, one to serve pages and one or more to do data processing.

I’ve set up XQuery code to manage using temporary databases to work in and then
swap those into production. It seems to work although it’s still too new to
know if I’ve missed out some details around locking. I also made my databases
more granular so that I can have multiple worker instances handling different
parts of our data. We have four active streams of development for the
ServiceNow product documentation (“families” is the SN term for our product
versions) so it makes sense to have one instance per family. It’s also clear
that if I had the ability to use Docker containers that one could horizontally
scale really well with a little bit more effort.

I also put Liam’s cron trick in place and my server was running when I got up
this a.m., so thanks for that.

Cheers,

E.

Eliot Kimber