Hi Christian,

I did some performance statistics on my application and something caught my
eye, which I hope you can shed some light on.

I found that when running the application the distribution of the life-cycle
fases: Parsing, Compiling, Evaluating and Printing,  is:
       Parsing          :       95%,
       Compiling        :       4%,
       Evaluating       :       0.4% and
       Printing         :       0.03% .

My development-paradigm is maintainability and not as much as performance
optimization. So I expect is a lot of code-optimization during parsing and
therefore a relatively high amount of time consumed for parsing. This is
confirmed by the relatively low amount of time for the Compiling- and
Evaluating-time. Code-optimization actually is a strong point of the parser.
However I had expected/hoped that this code-optimization only occurs at the
first run and that the optimized code is kept for following runs. This does not
seem to be the case.

First of all: am I correct in my analysis? Secondly, can you give me any advise
on improving the parsing-time, not being giving up on my development-paradigm,
based on these stats?

Some more stats:
The info-view gives for the compiling -fase a total of 2124 lines of which:
- Inline ……                                             923     lines
- Remove type check ….                          710     lines
- Simplify FLWOR ….                                     218     lines
- Rewrite …                                             150     lines
- Unroll ….                                             12      lines
- Merge: concat …..                                     11      lines
- Open database …                                       3       lines
- Swap operant …                                        1       lines
- Simplify catch * ….                                   4       lines
-

Thnx in advance for your reply.

Rob Stapper

Sent from Mail for Windows