Hi Stefan,

It may be possible to answer the question universally: If you build a
web application or design an API, you may always have data that needs
to be retrieved, created, updated or deleted. This can be database
resources, data from other remote targets, or anything else. For pure
APIs that don’t rely on application-specific code, it’s recommendable
to use GET, POST, PUT and DELETE the way they have initially been
designed. For more specific applications, POST is often used for more
complex operations that require a payload to be sent to the server.

In our own projects, the four main REST methods are used for all kinds
of data formats (XML, JSON, binaries, sometimes CSV or plain text).
POST prevails in web applications. For example, the DBA application
mostly builds upon POST [1].

Hope this helps,
Christian

[1] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/DBA