Hi Matt,

Your assumption is correct: Database backups are nothing else than zipped
archives of the corresponding database subdirectory located in the 'data'
directory.

If you create backups on your own, you should ensure that no updates are
currently running during your update operation. If you use CREATE BACKUP or
db:create-backup, BaseX will take care of that.

Hope this helps,
Christian

I'm interested in creating backups manually so I can use a different