From: melchar <melc...@gmail.com>
To: chris garcia <gar...@computerhistory.org>; BASFA list <ba...@basfa.org>
Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 2:41:51 PM
Subject: [Basfa] BASFA minutes for Jan 24

Meeting 1069
January 24, 2011
Trey Haddad, President
Chris Garcia, Vice-President
Dave Gallaher, Treasurer
Galen Tripp, Sargeant at Arms
Barbara Johnson-Haddad, Secretary
held at Coco's, 1206 Oakmead Parkway (Lawrence Expressway/101 fwy), Sunnyvale
Began at 8:02 pm ... with AWESOME crabcakes
29   people attended
we established a Salon Futura jar
Secretary’s report:  the minutes from meeting 1068 were accepted as 'get a Clue'
the Treasurer reported that at meeting 1068 we took in $1.75 in the regular jar
& $5.75 in the party jar
the Vice President reported that there's a new 'Drink Tank' out with a cover by
Mo & that a new 'Journey Planet' will be out that will focus on 'Dune' and
could
use some content & he'll have an issue of 'Drink Tank' coming out soon with
emphasis on the Hugos – so surprise him

The President had nothing fannish to report
The Sports Committee reported that 16 have contacted him, interested in buying
tickets to the May 6th, Friday, Giants home game to help celebrate Willie Mays'
birthday – but we need 25 – and that May 6 will be Willie Mays' replica statue
night!
[Tall] Kevin stated he was sick and would have to leave early and Adrienne
volunteered to lead the Hugo nomination discussions
REPOSTED REMINDER:   our Hugo nomination discussions be held tonight, January
31
& on February 7 – and we ask that BASFAns show restraint in not bringing in
auction items on those nights

Announcements:
Ken announced that there'll be a Legion of Rasselon meeting at 1st and Trimble
in the Carls Jr on Friday night, at 7:30
Adrienne announced that Bay Area Ghost Hunters will have a book signing at the
SJ Spegetti Factory, Feb 4, 1pm, for author MaryJo Ignoffo for a book on Sarah
Winchester – 'Captive of the Labyrinth' & that her review of the Pensione Hotel
in Melbourne is up on epinions.com
Lisa announced that Corflu is at the Domain hotel in 2 weeks
Dave C announced that he has been getting multiple notices that 'Dragon's Ark'
is forthcoming & announced that KUSF lost its frequency – check KUSF.org or
saveKUSF.org
Dave G announced that this weekend has HempCon at the McInery's South Hall
Chris announced that he needs volunteers to man the booth for Renovation at
Wondercon
[evil] Kevin announced that Syfy is premiering 'Mega Python vs Gateroid' this
Saturday
John announced that the 1st week in March will have Consonance
Howeird announced that Jack Lalaine died

Reviews
Dave C reviewed 'Sharktopus' as 'another CGI fanfest' [Trey stated 'I am
Sharktopus']
Adrienne reviewed the US version of 'Being Human' as she isn't sure what to
make
of it and misses the British accents; Mo follow-on'd that she saw the episode,
enjoyed it and has hopes; then Adrienne reviewed 'Little Fockers' as 'not as
funny as the other 2' - worth matinee or Netflix
Mo reviewed 'The Green Hornet' as a fun movie & if you go in without
expectations you will be entertained

Chris reviewed the Razzie nominations as he's upsets since they nominated
'Eclipse' and 'Vampires Suck' – but that 'Sex & the City 2' deserved it – so
maybe they got it right
Andy reviewed the Fancy Food Show in SF as full of good foods and oddly
exploding snacks & the absolute best stuff was what prosciutto wants to be when
it grows up - jamon iberico de belotta – and 'I didn't even talk about the
chocolate and I'm not going to'

We adjourned at = 9:28 pm
The rumor of the week was: 'I am Sharktopus'