Meeting 1070

January 31, 2011

Trey Haddad, President
Chris Garcia, Vice-President
Dave Gallaher, Treasurer
Galen Tripp, Sargeant at Arms
Barbara Johnson-Haddad, Secretary
held at Coco's, 1206 Oakmead Parkway (Lawrence Expressway/101 fwy),
Sunnyvale

Began very 8-ish

26   people attended

we established a Salon Futura jar

Secretary’s report:  the minutes from meeting 1069 were accepted as 'there's
an echo in here'

the Treasurer reported that at meeting 1069 we took in $5.11 in the regular
jar & $4.94 in the Salon Futura jar

the Vice President reported that 'there is' [he made me write it that way!]
-2- new 'Drink Tanks' out now, so check efanzines.com – that Corflu is
coming anon & is accepting donations of books to distribute at Wondercon
['this is a book'] – that a new fan fund is starting up – the swff ['it's da
Swiffer!'] and he that still needs contributions for his 'Dune' focus 'zine.

The President had nothing fannish to report

The Sports Committee reported that tickets for the infield reserve, behind
home plate are going for $28 & he'll pick up the tickets tomorrow for the
May 6th, Friday, Giants home game to help celebrate Willie Mays' birthday!

REPOSTED REMINDER:   our Hugo nomination discussions be held tonight & on
February 7.  We ask that BASFAns show restraint in not bringing in auction
items on those nights.  Discussion will be after the regular meeting.

Announcements:
Andy announced that Cadbury creme egg insanity can be found at 'Eggvatar' =
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/Eggvatar/ & he announced that Chris Garcia
was featured in an article in 'File 770'

Ken announced that John Barry died & announced that the Globe theatre will
show all of Shakespeare's plays in 2012

Julie announced that Pantheacon will be at the Doubletree on President's Day
weekend

Adrienne [& Dave G, [tall] Kevin & Chris] announced that today is the last
day to join Renovation in order to make nominations for the Hugos

Dave C announced that he had his first haircut in 3 months & announced that
'Sharktopus' will be released on DVD & bluray in March

Lisa announced that Gallifrey One will be at the LAX Marriott Feb 18-20

Reviews
Fred reviewed the play 'Compleat Female Stage Beauty' at SJ's City Lights as
well done & interesting

Chris reviewed 'Counterblast' – a DVD of the 1948 film – as 'it's important
to know bad science fiction, too' – it's surprisingly twisty & turny - & he
reviewed the Youtube 'Angry Birds Peace Conference' as health-endangeringly
good

Julie reviewed seeing the ghost of Bob Marley at Dicken's Faire as it's
predictable now & reviewed the HBO Comcast on Demand as it has 3D movies &
she saw 'Coraline' in 3D; that it is capable of giving a nephew nightmares &
has some of the most amazing motion control she has ever seen – the 1st half
is beautiful & the 2nd half falls apart plot-wise

John reviewed “how to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe' by
Charles Yu – as a 1st novel, very well done with absurdest twists & he
recommends it

Dave C reviewed 2 Connie Willis book parts – 'Blackout' & 'All Clear' – that
feature the Oxford historians – as he wishes they had been shorter

We adjourned at = 9:05 pm

The rumor of the week was: 'the Israeli's have the killing joke'