Meeting 1079

April 4, 2011

Trey Haddad, President
Chris Garcia, Vice-President
Dave Gallaher, Treasurer
Galen Tripp, Sergeant at Arms
Barbara Johnson-Haddad, Secretary
held at Coco's, 1206 Oakmead Parkway (Lawrence Expressway/101 Fwy), Sunnyvale

Began at 8:01 p.m.

President, vice president, and secretary absent
Kevin Standlee, presiding
Adrienne Foster, acting minute taker

23 people attended

We established a party jar.

The minutes for meeting 1077 were accepted as "1077? That was my pen number
from
back when I used to work for Penucci's Pizza."

The minutes for meeting 1078 were accepted as "Chris failed his audition again."

Treasurer reported that that the Sharks were ahead in their play-off game 1-0.
He also added that at the last meeting we collected $7.25 in the pun jar,
$13.15
in the party, and 0 for Salon Futura (there was no jar for the latter). He also
gave the grand totals for all three, but I totally missed them.

There was neither a VP nor president report

The sports committee proxy reported that tix for our baseball outing are slowly
being distributed. We will be going to the Giants' game on Friday, May 6, at
AT&T Park. It is an evening game to celebrate Willie Mays's 80th b-day and
BASFA's full name will go on the scoreboard. Ride sharing will have to be
organized independently.

Announcements:

Valerie announced her next book, Buffy and the Heroine's Journey, is going to
be
published by McFarland & Co.

Ken says he's still officially unemployed.

Dann says Silicon '11 is definitely happening this year. For anyone interested
in volunteering for staff, please go to the meeting at Denny's on First &
Brokaw
this Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

Kevin R. says Karen is moving out of state and has old tools and radios to
dispose of, if anyone is interested, but they must be picked up tomorrow
(Tuesday, April 6).

Reviews:

Lisa said that Wondercon was far less crowded on Friday than Saturday and
really
enjoyed the preview of Cowboys & Aliens.
        Dave C. spent most of his time in the dealers' room and helped give out
free books at the Science Fiction Outreach table. He missed Neil Gaiman's
appearance.
        Dave G. also spent time at the SF Outreach table. He thought it was
overall a worthwhile event and saw quite a bit of goodwill. On Friday, it was
more crowded at noon than it was at 5 p.m.
        Andy was frustrated about the drive into San Francisco. He said
Wondercon was like being at Costco with fewer carts and more people.
        Kevin R. was disappointed with the way the masquerade was organized and
declined participating.
        MO said there was a costuming group that looked like they stepped out
of
the pages of Elfquest and Wendy & Richard were thrilled. MO was given some beta
art tools to try out. She didn't think the crowds were as bad as San Diego
Comic
Con.
        Kevin S. displayed a 2002 Hugo at the SF Outreach table and promoted
Worldcon and the Hugos. He had fun. He thought it was worth full price.

Dave C. saw Battle: Los Angeles, read a on-line review by "Spencer" and evaded
giving his own opinion.
        MO said she had a friend who couldn't handle working on that
movie because a lot of those scenes were actually filmed in Katrina-damaged
Louisiana.

Andy reviewed Barbot 2011, where robots served booze to the punters in
different
ways. Totally worth full price. Great for admiring some imaginative engineering.
        Kevin R. followed on that they were talked into taking the Tiki Dalek
and were well received.

Jo saw Sucker Punch and enjoyed the homages. It's worth full price as a simple,
fun movie.

Dave G. interrupted to announce that the Sharks just clinched the division race.

Jo visited the Thomas George Winery and loved it. The wine is fantastic.

I said the latest season of the UK version of Being Human is concluding next
Saturday on BBC America and is worth getting cable for.

Lisa saw some of the new Nintendo games at Wondercon and saw no reason to rush
out for them.

Valerie saw Rocky Horror with the Bawdy Cast at the Guild in Menlo Park and
enjoyed it, despite it being overrun by teenagers.

Diane highly recommends the Ojah Retreat in Ojah for a weekend of zen.

We did auctions.

Rumor of the Week:

"Meeting not found."

We adjourned at 10:11 p.m.