Dear BASFA Members:

I am new to the list, so please forgive me for posting something you may
already know.  I teach astronomy (and "Physics for Poets") at Foothill College.
 I use science fiction stories in my teaching and have long been a science
fiction fan.  This past year, my first science fiction story was published in a
small-press anthology.

Although I have spoken at BayCon before (as a science speaker), this will be
the first year I will also speak as an author (and, like naively enthusiastic
new authors,  I am thrilled.)   Just in case you don't know about the science
parts of the upcoming convention, I wanted to share the announcement that
follows with you.

Thanks, Andrew Fraknoi

Science at BayCon 2016

BayCon 2016, the Bay Area Science Fiction convention, will be held during
Memorial Day Weekend, May 27 - 30, 2016.  The theme of this 34th Annual BayCon
gathering will be "All About Space" - in fact and in fiction.

The location is the San Mateo Marriott (SF Airport), 1770 S Amphlett Blvd, San
Mateo, CA 94402.  You can register in advance on line or at the site.

For more information and how to register, go to: http://www.baycon.org

Among the science-oriented programs offered at the conference will be:

Ø  "Black Holes and Interstellar: Spacewarps and Time Travel in Science and
Science Fiction+ -- Andrew Fraknoi (Foothill College) --

Ø  "Strange New Worlds" a panel with Michael Busch (SETI Institute), Sanjoy Som
(Ames Research Ctr.) and Keri Bean (JPL) on the recent exploration of the solar
system -- including Mars, Ceres, and newly-discovered near-Earth asteroids.

Ø  "The Latest on SETI - The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence" - Seth
Shostak (SETI Institute)

Ø  "The Top Tourist Sights of the Solar System: Where Bill Gates' Great
Granddaughter Might Go for Her Honeymoon" - Andrew Fraknoi (Foothill College)

Ø  Dwarf Planets (Pluto and others) - Panel with Orkan Umurhan (NASA Ames) and
others

Ø  Scientists Writing Science Fiction - Panel with G. D. Nordley, Paul Preuss,
and Andrew Fraknoi

There will also be a wide range of other presentations, panels, and readings on
science, science fiction, space art, and other topics at the intersection of
science and the imagination.

Updates are available at: http://www.baycon.org (click on the program link to
see the full schedule)

Please help us spread the word to interested audiences.