The error I get is:
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to
X11
>> window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
>>
>> Any suggestions for using Batik in a non-interactive "batch" mode on
>> Unix (Sun)
>> box?
>
>This topic was discusssed few days ago but to summarize, you need to
have an
>X server installed on this machin.
>
>Regards,
>Thierry.

FYI, there are workarounds available - for instance the X server does
not have to be "complete" server with a real display mapped to it.  As
Thierry says,check the archives...

I think that J2SE - jdk1.4 is supposed to support headless operation.

-Bill

------
Bill Haneman x19279
Gnome Accessibility / Batik SVG Toolkit