PM> On the document on http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-SVG2Reqs-20010803,
PM> at 4.2 (Graphical Features) 10. (Parametized Elements), does this
PM> mean that you can have a symbol to which you can pass a parameter,
PM> like text or a URI?

    I don't think this is what is meant by this.  I think this is
intended to get at things like: Rectangle 1 should be at all times as
tall as Rectangle 2, or The top of rectangle A should meet the bottom
of Rectangle B.

    The concept of Parameterized drawing is used very heavily by a
number of CAD packages.  It makes the document much better at
handling/responding to changes (like for animation), and certain types
of scaling, etc.

    I believe there are proposals to allow for XPath stuff which might
allow you to do the above. Others please comment here :)

PM> I'll give a concrete example: on the process of modeling business
PM> processes, I've defined some symbols. However, those were not
PM> complete by themselves, they needed a label, which difered on each
PM> use of the symbol.

PM> I've ended up overlaying the label over the symbol, which kinda
PM> broke the abstraction of the symbol.

PM> Is this feature mean to be used this way?

    Probably not :(

    But I would think that doing something like:

    <g id="Decision 1">
       <use xlink:href="#ifBlock">
       <text ...>Press the History Eraser Button?</text>
    </g>

    Would keep most of the semantics.  Your symbol is now just one
element of the group that represents the decision to be made.