'readonly' in IDL means that the field itself cannot be set, but the
referenced object can be modified, except if it is explicitly said that it
can't.
So according to the DOM-Style spec you can modify the style tag of an
element using elt.getStyle().setProperty().

The CSSOMReadOnlyStyleDeclaration is used in batik only to represent the
computed styles (returned by org.w3c.dom.css.ViewCSS.getComputedStyle()),
which are immutable.