On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

The only work in SVG APIs for Java that I'm aware of to date have
taken place as part of the open source Apache XML Project,
particularly Batik <http://xml.apache.org/batik/>

I am concerned that the licensing fees proposed for the TCK with JSR
226,  Scalable 2D Vector Graphics API for J2ME ($50,000 initial
payment + $20,000 per year) will prevent open source implementations.
At these levels Sun's $1,000,000 per year scholarship program that
must cover all open source implementations of all payware TCKs is not
an adequate replacement for a free-beer TCK. If this price cannot be
substantially reduced or ideally eliminated, then this JSR should be
rejected

The JCP process and legal agreements have taken into account
concerns about implementations built by not-for-profit organizations
and individuals. It includes a provision for no charge TCK licenses
to qualified organizations. Refer to the JCP process and documents
for details. Within the JSPA (Java Specification Participation Agreement) Section F, paragraph III defines the requirement [1].

Vincent.

[1] http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/JSPA.pdf