Tjorven Lauchardt wrote:

Hello,

I am creating a application with Batik and I have the following problem.
I am buidling a DOM Tree and I want to know the bounding box of the
text-Elements while I am building the DOM. I need that information,
because I want to create a fitting rect as a background for every
Text-Element and for other layout-reasons.

Can you help me? I already searched in the mail-archive, but didn't find
a solution for my problem.
Here is my code:

DOMImplementation impl = SVGDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();
String svgNS = SVGDOMImplementation.SVG_NAMESPACE_URI;
SVGOMDocument doc = (SVGOMDocument)impl.createDocument(svgNS, "svg", null);

Element text = doc.createElementNS(svgNS,"text");
Text textNode = doc.createTextNode("a text");
text.appendChild(textNode);

// here I want to know the bounding box

Is it possible?

Yes, but you need to build this with the associated GVT tree. Here you have two options.

1) Build it as a 'dynamic' document so as you
   append elements it will automatically build
   the rendering tree version and the geometric
   information will be immediately available.
2) Build the whole 'basic' document first then
   build the rendering tree as a whole and make
   a second pass through the DOM creating the
   rectangles.

#2 is faster but #1 is probably simpler code.
To find out how to build the associated rendering tree
(GVT) you should look at the slideshow application.
(batik.app.slideshow).