Hi Peter,

Peter Hull <peterhul...@gmail.com> wrote on 02/03/2011 08:33:07 AM:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM,  <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com> wrote:
> >         It's getting clipped by the 'symbol' element's clipping
rectangle.
> > If you read the symbol and use sections of the SVG Spec:

> >         http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html

> Now I've read that, I've realised that I don't need to use 'symbol'
> anyway for my purposes, just reference a rect defined in a <defs>
> section. The rect of course is not subject to clipping like the symbol
> contents inside their implicit svg.

        Right or you can use a 'g'.

> Follow up question - why are the rect's right and bottom edges not
> also clipped? I see that the implicit svg will be assigned
> width="100%" height="100%" because no explicit size was specified in
> the use element, so does the calculation of a rect's size include its
> nominal width + half a stroke?

        The 100% is percent of the _containing_ viewport (not the child
content).
In this case the viewport is established by the outermost 'svg' element.
So it ends up establishing a clip rect from 0,0 to the width and height
of the root SVG element (256,256) in this case.
Thomas DeWeese | CDG Advanced Development |
Eastman Kodak Company | 343 State Street | Rochester, NY 14650-0128 |
thomas.dewe...@kodak.com | 585 724-0294 |
www.kodak.com