On Thursday, May 26, 2011, 3:52:56 PM, marting wrote:

m> I have a couple of PNGs with 8-bit red/green/blue channels and a
m> 1-bit alpha channel, equating to what is a transparent bitmasked
m> image (rather than translucent)

m> So my question is has my paint program (Paint.NET on Windows 7) generated a
m> bad PNG,

Yes, it has. From

http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#6AlphaRepresentation

=============== start quote ======================
In a PNG datastream transparency may be represented in one of four
ways, depending on the PNG image type (see 4.3.2: Alpha separation and
4.3.5: Alpha compaction).

    Truecolour with alpha, greyscale with alpha: an alpha channel is
    part of the image array.

    Truecolour, greyscale: A tRNS chunk contains a single pixel value
    distinguishing the fully transparent pixels from the fully opaque
    pixels.

    Indexed-colour: A tRNS chunk contains the alpha table that
    associates an alpha sample with each palette entry.

    Truecolour, greyscale, indexed-colour: there is no tRNS chunk
    present and all pixels are fully opaque.

An alpha channel included in the image array has 8-bit or 16-bit
samples, the same size as the other samples. The alpha sample for each
pixel is stored immediately following the greyscale or RGB samples of
the pixel. An alpha value of zero represents full transparency, and a
value of 2^sampledepth - 1 represents full opacity.
=========== end quote ===============

So if you use an alpha channel, it has the same sample depth as the RGB
data. This is because it is interleaved with the RGB data and the
whole lot is compressed as one block.

If you have a single 'transparent colour' then that can be
expressed with tRNS.

If you have a 1-bit mask which is independent of the RGB colours then
the software must expand that mask to the bit depth of the RGB data (8
or 16 bits) before constructing the RGBA array. This ensures that the
RGB data is byte or word aligned, which will improve compression.

I would be grateful if you would send me a sample PNG image that shows
this, along with details (version etc) of the software that wrote it.

m> or is this a bug in batik?

Its not a bug in Batik.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG