FWIW, my experience is that regrettably, the HW/OS combo is key to the
image rendering quality; I had a servlet app I developed on Mac OS X
that produced SVG images on demand that had to be returned to the Web
client as PNG. On the Mac, the rendering was extremely good, but when
run on a PC/Linux server, it produced unacceptable images. In our
case, this issue was mostly that of poor text rendering at small type
sizes, due to bad anti-aliasing. After a lot of testing, we decided to
get a Mac dedicated to image rendering!   YMMV.
best
Martin