I'd also advise the changes be made in a single runnable as Thomas
suggested.  If you want a proof of concept for that, I'd point to some
rather old, but potentially useful code I wrote awhile ago...seems to be
doing something similar to what you want...look towards the end of the
conversation for the inlined example:

http://batik.2283329.n4.nabble.com/Status-of-FlowRoot-Overflow-Detection-td2979431.html