Hi Jonathan,
    The reason the text is blowing up is because the default Font size in Batik
is 9pt. So the font size is multiplied by the pixels/pt.  Also note that your
top level SVG elements are defined in pixels rather than in real world units so
the -dpi 600 doesn't actually make your output images any better.  You might
consider either moving to real world units for the root SVG element or use the
-width option to produce a larger output image rather than -dpi.

    You can fix the font-size issue by adding font-size="9".

    Thomas