The fonts need to be installed in the system and known to the jdk you use.

You can write a small java program (search for "java list installed fonts" if you need an example) to see what fonts are known to your jdk.

On 5/15/15 3:29 PM, Jared Jurkiewicz (jjurkiew) wrote:
Anyone?  I am rather stuck here.

Sincerely,
-- Jared Jurkiewicz

From: Cisco Employee <jjurk...@cisco.com <mailto:jjurk...@cisco.com>>
Date: Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:42 AM
To: "batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org <mailto:batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>" <batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org <mailto:batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>>
Subject: Question regarding Batik Transcode of SVG to Image

Folks,
I have transcoding of SVG -> PNG generally working fine. However, I have encountered an issue where Japanese, Chinese, and Korean (basically any asian language), glyphs do not render correctly. In my browser I see them render fine, but when I send them down into Batik all that comes out are images that have squares where the glyphs should be. I am running batik on a RedHat Enterprise Linux system, and it supposedly does have the xorg misc fonts installed for Japanese, Chinese, and so on.

How does Batik decide what glyph to render and insert it? Is it possibly just a an OS missing font issue? Can you give me some guidance on how to proceed in isolating the cause?

Sincerely,
-- Jared Jurkiewicz