Chris Beggy writes:
> From: Colin Rafferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Chris Beggy writes:

>>> Is anybody encrypting/decrypting fields in the database?

>> You are probably better off having the entire file encrypted, and
>> using crypt++ to do the encrypt/decrypt.

> Thanks for the crypt++ suggestion.  ssl-hacks.el is good for this too.
> Why would I be better off encrypting/decrypting the whole file, when
> I really just want to secure a few fields out of many?

I guess it depends on your threat model.  Personally, I assume that my
XEmacs session is secure, so I decrypt on the way into XEmacs.  If I
encrypt the entire .bbdb, then I only need to give a key once.

One the other hand, if you assume that your XEmacs session is
insecure, then decrypting only when you display the data would be the
way to go.  It would be much more cumbersome though, especially if the
field pops up automatically when you are reading mail.

--
Colin