><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

    Harald> Anyone got an archive system for their mail/news?

    Harald> It is too slow/difficult to retrieve information from
    Harald> stored mails/news articles. Today I use mail folders and
    Harald> VM as archive, but the folders grow too big. And there is
    Harald> no good way of searching for e.g. a regexp in a subject
    Harald> field in some/all folders (I use grep:(. In other words I
    Harald> would like an index file and a nice VM or gnus like
    Harald> interface.

I use VM and nn to generate and manage folders, and Gopher/WAIS to
index and search them.  It's why I got into running a Gopher,
originally.

    JZ> I was playing around with doing this sort of thing with WAIS a
    JZ> while back, but it was just way too buggy - 50% of the time
    JZ> I'd get a core file instead of an index.  dbm databases would
    JZ> probably be enough.

FreeWAIS (0.202) and the IUBio WAIS (w8b5bio) code are much improved
over early releases of the WAIS indexer/server.

I have also heard good things about the lq-text text
indexing/searching engine, but haven't personally used it.  I
understand it sits behind the Online Career Center up at
gopher.msen.com, which is primarily mailbox-format items in an
index/retrieval system.

    -jml