I have a similar problem, due to changes to bbdb/vm-pop-up-bbdb-buffer.
Reverting back to the older version solves my problem, yet appears to cause
problems with fsf emacs.

(defun bbdb/vm-pop-up-bbdb-buffer (&optional offer-to-create)
  "Make the *BBDB* buffer be displayed along with the VM window(s).
Displays the records corresponding to the sender respectively
recipients of the current message.
See `bbdb/vm-get-from-headers' and 'bbdb/vm-get-only-first-from-p' for
configuration of what is being displayed."
  (save-excursion
    (let ((bbdb-gag-messages t)
          (bbdb-electric-p nil)
          (records (bbdb/vm-update-records offer-to-create))
          (bbdb-elided-display (bbdb-pop-up-elided-display)))
      (if (and bbdb-use-pop-up records)
          (progn
            (bbdb-pop-up-bbdb-buffer
             (function (lambda (w)
                         (let ((b (current-buffer)))
                           (set-buffer (window-buffer w))
                           (prog1 (eq major-mode 'vm-mode)
                             (set-buffer b))))))
            ;; Always update the records; if there are no records, empty the
            ;; BBDB window. This should be generic, not VM-specific.
            (if records
                (bbdb-display-records records)
              (bbdb-undisplay-records))

            ;; Without the following, VM's summary buffer tends to get upset
            ;; and stuck in a loop. This may well be an Emacs bug; it goes
            ;; away if you try to (debug) it.
            ;(sit-for 0)
            ))
      )))