HP> This is probably easy to do but so far has eluded me.

HP> I find when creating new entries, getting to the phone section,
HP> bbdb prompts me for `Location', and as long as I keep giving
HP> `locations' I can add more phone numbers or fax or whatever.

HP> However If I come back latter and want to add a fax or phone
HP> number, pressing `e' on the phone line.  I only get to edit what
HP> is already present.  No `location' prompt comes up to allow me to
HP> add another location.

    This allows you to edit a particular phone number not all phone
numbers.

HP> I can add a new field, or `C-q C-j' during editing, but then my
HP> layout is messed up, no longer nice and tidy the bbdb way.  Even
HP> tabbing and such doesn't line up with the bbdb entry with out some
HP> care.

    This adds a new line to an existing field (phone number)

HP> The only command I see that involves adding is the one that allows
HP> me to add a field.  Seems there should be an `add-to' command for
HP> some of the fields.  `Phone', `address' and `net address' for
HP> three.  Or have the `location' prompt come up during an edit.

    This is the command you want.  When I add a new phone I
select the record.  Type 'C-o', it asks me what field to add
I type 'phone' (or 'address' or 'net').  Then BBDB asks me what
location (for phone and address) and then the rest of the info.

    Now that I type this I realize you are probably confused by 'net'
which has no associated location, and all net addresses are stored
togeather in one field, hence editing it allows to to add/remove new
nets.  This is good in the sense that it is quite common for many
e-mail addresses to be equivilent ([EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], ..., all route to
the same e-mail for me), the same is generally not true for phone
numbers (one phone, one phone number, of course I'm aware that in some
fairly rare cases there are multiple ways to get to the same phone,
this is true here for example, but no one worries about it).

    However I have come to consider this to be an issue of antiquity
in BBDB (just haven't gotten off my butt to fix it).  Since it is now
clear that many people have at least two distinct e-mail 'locations'
(home, work), and many have quite a few more (Web-mail, RIM/Palm/Cell,
text-pager, ...).

HP> In fact there seems to be no prompt similar to `location' for `net
HP> address'.  Seems that field would be similar to `Phone' and
HP> `address'.

    Hope this clarifies things a bit.