Since my last suggestion for functionality met with such a
constructive response (obsolete-net: thanks, Colin!), I thought I
should mention something else which has been on my mental wish-list
for a while:

I use Rmail, as it happens (despite a long-standing intention to get
around to moving over to VM someday), but I assume the other mail
readers behave somewhat similarly when wired into the BBDB, so this
should apply to them too.

I have bbdb-use-pop-up set to true so that when I am reading a mail
from someone in the BBDB, their record is displayed, suitably elided,
in a small *BBDB* window.

I also have bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist set to a huge regexp which
filters out all the mailing-lists I subscribe to; when I'm viewing a
message whose headers match this, no BBDB record is displayed (or
created) - so I get an empty *BBDB* popup window.

All I want is the option to automatically hide the *BBDB* popup window
if it's going to be empty.

Patrick