On August 31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>     Waider> At Thursday, 30 August 2001, Martin Maechler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     ethz.ch> wrote:
>     >> Well, I call
>     >> (bbdb-initialize 'vm 'sc 'w3 'sendmail 'rmail)
>     >> from my ~/.emacs equivalent...
>     >> *AND*
>     >> (bbdb-initialize 'vm)
>     >> in my ~/.vm
>
>     Waider> Right, well, I think the latter may cause you problems. The
>     Waider> latter should be bbdb-insinuate-vm. bbdb-initialize does /not/
>     Waider> invoke the insinuation stuff because we don't know if VM's
>     Waider> variables are available at bbdb-init time.
>
>     >> This seems a (at least documentation) bug to me..
>     >> Thanks again for your help
>
>     Waider> Perhaps the documentation needs to be clearer on the above. Try
>     Waider> it out and see if it works.
>
> as I meant to say above, I *did* already try and it worked.
> Yes, I think the documentation should become clearer quite a bit.
> It generally tells the user to just use  (bbdb-initialize ...)

At the risk of being picky, this is in the INSTALL file:

Initializing BBDB:
*         THE BBDB INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE CHANGED IN 1.57unoff.         *
*                              YOU *MUST* ADD                             *
*   (require 'bbdb)                                                       *
*   (bbdb-initialize)                                                     *
*   TO YOUR BBDB INITIALIZATION CODE.  THIS TAKES THE PLACE OF ALL BBDB   *
*    AUTOLOADS.  IT DOES *NOT* TAKE THE PLACE OF THE INSINUATION CODE.    *
*       If you do not add this code, you will receive keymap errors       *
*                          (among other things)                           *

For information on post-installation BBDB configuration and setup, see
the info file. (M-x bbdb, and press 'i' in the BBDB info window)

> Also, I think (bbdb-initialize ... 'sc ... )
> coul at least produce a warning saying that
>
>        `` WARNING: For VM initialization,
>         you must call  (bbdb-inisinuate-vm)  in your ~/.vm ''

And this will just piss people off - there've already been threads
about BBDB's fairly-minimal messaging as it stands. The documentation
and a quick look at the code seems to indicate that (bbdb-initialize
'vm) should actually set up the relevant load-hook, so I'll check on
why that no longer works.

> Thanks again for the taking on of bbdb improvement!

You're welcome! I think Robert Fenk has been doing more than me on
that front lately, though ;)

Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

Zvi is entirely too amused by life for it to be Monday. Maybe it's Friday and
    my calendar is wrong.