Alex Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Alex Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Alex Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> There is, however, no way to search for people without phone numbers,
> >> or all people without an address matching "gnu".  Do you think this is
> >> important?

i am involved in the abstract organization for a conference; we have
to send each of 400 abstracts to 2 reviewers. i have a separate bbdb
file for all the potential reviewers and now i want to get rid of
those people who are not willing to help ... the only way (coming to
my mind) is to bbdb-display all of them and then calling

(defun bbdb-delete-all ()
  (interactive)
  (while (not (eobp))
    (bbdb-delete-current-record (bbdb-current-record) t)
    (bbdb-next-record 0)))

the extra function is needed because actually * \C-u d deletes only
one record, although * stands for next action on all records!?

with your code it is actually easy to display e.g. all people whose
alias does not match the string 'reviewer' :)
only problem now: the deleting process is very slow.

> Ok, so I was bored.  Now you can also search for stuff *not*
> matching something, for example for all people whose name do not
> contain the letter a.  I'm still not sure such a thing is actually
> needed, though.  Plus I think the user interface is bad.  At the
> moment you have to call M-x bbdb-search-invert-set to invert the
> meaning of the next search.

how about informing the user that bbdb-search-invert is activated for
instance in the prompt for search string?

thanks a lot for your help,
tomy

--
Visit http://www.ibc2002.uni-freiburg.de