    mailspam1>
    mailspam1> On , February 10, 2003 at 15:30:21, Klaus Zeitler wrote:
    >> when headers like e.g. reply-to are hidden in gnus
    >> (with gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers set to 'head),
    >> bbdb return a garbage mail address.
    >> I think bbdb should operate on the original article and not on the
    >> presentation buffer of the article (this would avoid the problem)
    >>
    >> Should I report this as an emacs bug in mail-fetch-field?
    mailspam1>
    mailspam1> Neither.
    mailspam1>
    mailspam1> I have just committed a fix, now we are calling
    mailspam1> gnus-fetch-field, which should do a better job.

I was just about to report a fix for that. I think the main reason why it
didn't work was that bbdb should look in gnus-original-article-buffer
instead of in gnus-article-buffer. The message buffer is selected with
function bbdb-header-start in bbdb-hooks.

The code in 2.35 (don't have the CVS version) starts with

--- snip ---
(defun bbdb-header-start ()
  "Returns a marker at the beginning of the header block of the current
message.  This will not necessarily be in the current buffer."
  (cond ((memq major-mode
               '(gnus-group-mode gnus-subject-mode gnus-article-mode))
         (set-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer)
--- snip ---

that should be
               '(gnus-group-mode gnus-summary-mode gnus-article-mode))
instead cause there's no gnus-subject-mode.
That may have been me who introduced this bug (IIRC I've suggested that as a
fix for the really outdated gnus-Group-mode, gnus-Subject-mode and
gnus-Article-mode about a year ago or so, but not only had the mode names
changed to the low case ones but also the name for gnus-Subject-mode).

While I was at it I've checked if there are more places in bbdb where
gnus-article-buffer is used and I found 2 more uses of
gnus-article-buffer (in 2.35) where I suspect that
gnus-original-article-buffer might be better:

1. bbdb/gnus-update-records
2. bbdb/gnus-summary-show-all-recipients

Besides do we still need code for the really old gnus, i.e. the lines that deal
with gnus-Group-mode, gnus-Subject-mode and gnus-Article-mode?

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |