This is probably a very simple problem.  BUT...  I took Vladimir's
advice to use BBDB-INITIALIZE to get things going.

When I do (bbdb-initialize 'supercite) this has the following effect:

(assq 'supercite bbdb-init-forms) =>
(supercite (add-hook (quote sc-load-hook) (quote bbdb-insinuate-sc)))

Unfortunately, IIUC, this is a no-op if supercite has already been
loaded.  Question:  how do you all manage to be sure that all the
packages you want have not been loaded before these forms are
executed?

I /think/ I've got the forms right, but now I worry that the next time
I dink with my init files (and by a quasi-principled count, I have
approx. 2K LOC in those files), I'm going to gaff everything again.

Any suggestions about how to avoid this?  Interestingly, it looks to
me as if the supercite, w3, and vm packages are the only ones prone to
this effect --- the others (rmail, mh, gnus, etc.) are all hooked on
entering the mode, rather than on loading the package.

I'm tempted to go back to running the bbdb-insinuate-<foo> functions,
but then if there are any bbdb-initialize-hook entries, I'm
doomed....  :-(

Thanks!