I'm running code from CVS from July 14th or so, under
  emacs 21.3.1 (sparc--netbsdelf, X toolkit)
using MH-E.

I sent mail to John Doe (changing actual name, but matching exact
format of punctuation etc.), having got his email address from someone
else.

  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wanted to add a BBDB entry.  I have auto-creation turned off, so I
hit ':' on the message, and got
  john d. is not in the db.  Add?

This got me

  john d.
          net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

So, I edited the name

  John Doe
          net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Now, when I 'n' to that message in MH-E, I get asked

  Change name "John Doe" to "john d."?

I don't want 'john d.' as an AKA; this is simply an artifact of an
email address with a ., not a way John is known.

I am pretty sure that what is going on is that the code to process
names sees names with a . and extracts a 'real name' field, and this
gets used instead of regular name field.  So [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets
treated just like
  John D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
or perhaps
  John D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Had the header said this, the question would be reasonable.

So, I think good behavior (i.e. to do what I want) would be to only do
the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" => "User Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" transform
if there is no name recorded for this entry.

In the meantime, I've added 'john d.' as an AKA so I won't get asked
again.

Thoughts?

--
        Greg Troxel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>