Two things on prompting for new records:
1. it looks like it's totally broken, and has been for a while. Sorry!
2. at some point there was a change in how it's triggered. It used be
   that you set bbdb/{mail,news}-auto-create-p to nil. This has
   changed; you should set it to 'prompt. I'm going through the MUAs
   trying to make sure this will work in all of them, but for now you
   can at least make this correction if you want the prompting
   behaviour and you'll be ready to pick up the fixed code when I've
   got it done.

So far I've fixed MH-E and nothing else, which is something of a
surprise to me as it's about the only "supported" MUA I've never
actually used before.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

"Why, Win2000 + Cygwin gives you all the functionality of MacOS X!" - Lloyd