I ran configure like this

  ./configure --enable-vm=no --enable-rmail=yes

and in main Makefile I get:

  all: Makefile bbdb info rmail vm  gnus

shouldn't vm be omitted?  Or perhaps I do not understand what "enable"
option is intended to accomplish.  I did find a line in configure that
sets BBDB_VM to "vm" is the option is set, but no line that sets it to
the empty string otherwise.  Is that a bug?

I also get repeated

  Optional package bbdb-srv skipped - gnuserv not found

msgs.  I looked at the code and it seem to execute the following to
byte-compile bbdb-srv:

(progn (or
        (fboundp (quote define-obsolete-variable-alias))
        (if (locate-library "gnuserv-compat")
            (load "gnuserv-compat" t t)))
       (if (and (locate-library "gnuserv") (locate-library "itimer"))
           (byte-compile-file "bbdb-srv.el")
         (message "Optional package bbdb-srv skipped - gnuserv not found")))

I found similar code inside bbdb-srv.el file.  I will not pretend to
understand what this does.  Irrespective of BBDB, I do use gnuserv and
load it via gnuserv-compat, w/o any trouble.  There is no such beast
as itimer in the standard Emacs 20.7, or 21.3, or current CVS, by the
way.  Any suggestions?

--Boris