>>>>> "AK" == Aaron Kaplan  writes:

[Whoops, sorry, originally posted it to the wrong list...]

AK> Give SyncBBDB a try: http://syncbbdb2.sourceforge.net/ .  It does
AK> bidirectional syncing, and can be used as a conduit in the
AK> PilotManager framework http://pilotmanager.sourceforge.net/ or as
AK> a stand-alone script.  (The stand-alone functionality is not well
AK> documented; look at the script called "bootstrap".)

Yes, I have been successfully using this on a Treo 600 very nicely for
well over a year.  There are some quirks to do with bi-directional
syncing with a single BBDB record being split into multiple Palm
records for different addresses.  This will result in some problems
such as changes in the notes field introduced on the Palm side not
always being filtered back to the BBDB correctly, but mostly these
issues are minor.

AK> Like most *nix Palm syncing applications, SyncBBDB depends on the
AK> pilot-link library.  Some recent linux distributions, including
AK> Fedora Core 4, are shipping broken pre-release versions of
AK> pilot-link, with which SyncBBDB will not work.  In most cases, the
AK> best thing to do is to remove any 0.12.x version of pilot-link
AK> from your system, and install version 0.11.8 of pilot-link, which
AK> is a couple of years old but still the current stable release.  If
AK> you need some newer functionality that 0.11.8 is missing, e.g. if
AK> you need Solaris USB support, I can provide details on how to
AK> patch together a working 0.12 version.

I switched back to 0.11.8 (rebuilt the FC3 rpms on FC4) because I had
heard that the Perl bindings (upon which SyncBBDB depends) in
pilot-link 0.12 were broken, are they fixed now?

Also I found that even 0.11.8 pilot-link is slow on Fedora Core 4
compared with the performance on Fedora Core 3, I think this is due to
a problem with udev which has not been resolved (see bugzilla link
below), do you see this too?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/158809

AK> If you have any problems with it, please let me know about them.

Do you know about the compatibility of SyncBBDB with latest PalmOS
version (5.4, I think) that ships with recent smartphones (e.g. the
Treo 650)?

Cheers,
Alex