On Wed, Apr 26 2006, Alf-Ivar Holm wrote:

> In my emacs (21.4) utf-8-emacs is not defined (but utf-8 is) so
> `bbdb-file-coding-system' defaults to iso-2022-7bit.  Running Ubuntu
> (Dapper) with UTF-8 all over the place and trying to store Norwegian
> characters in that format leads to garbage when trying to view the
> names, eg. "Hødnebø" is shown as "HødnebÃÂ".

I think this should not happen, even with iso-2022-7bit.

> Since the documentation of bbdb-file-coding-system'
> tells me that it should not be changed by me I had to:
>
> (define-coding-system-alias 'utf-8-emacs 'utf-8)
>
> before loading bbdb.  This fixes my problem,

Not really.  `utf-8-emacs' will be used in the unicode branch of Emacs
(to be Emacs 23 someday).  If you define this bogus alias, I'm quite
sure that other code which tests for `utf-8-emacs' will break.

BTW: The comment in bbdb.el (at least in my copy) near
`bbdb-file-coding-system' says "Emacs 22".  But in fact it should
better say "Emacs 23 (unicode)" (we ).

> Or is there something else I should have done?  The Info pages don't
> tell me anything about coding-system.

I have converted my .bbdb file to UTF-8 and added a coding cookie
in the file:

,----
| ;; -*-coding: utf-8; truncate-lines:t -*-
| ;;; file-version: 6
`----

I don't remember the reason why I did it, but maybe is was because in
iso-2022-7bit a Latin-1 "ä" is not the same as a Latin-9 "ä".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)