> But you may not need to upgrade in order to fix your problem.
> It seems that Emacs 23 simply does not find BBDB at all.
>
> Try M-x find-library RET bbdb RET.
>
> If it cannot find bbdb, then add its location to the
> load-path, else add a (require 'bbdb ... to your MUAs
> init file.

Robert,

Thanks. Indeed, it was not able to find-library for bbdb:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't find library bbdb")
    signal(error ("Can't find library bbdb"))
    error("Can't find library %s" "bbdb")

I thought I already had bbdb in my load path. In ~./emacs I have:

  (setq load-path (nconc (list "~/lisp") load-path))
  (setq load-path (append load-path (list
        "~/elisp"
        "~/elisp/bbdb"
        )))

and I have ~/elisp/bbdb and in it a bunch of .elc files.

I didn't understand your point about adding (require...). I don't
think I compiled bbdb initially to use an e-mail client, and I start
bbdb with the M-x bbdb-name command rather than rely on an e-mail
client to do it. In any case, I use rmail, and have no init file for
it that I can see.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM