On Fri, Apr 08 2011, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Here's something off the internet that I've been using with gnus to
> automatically encrypt email based on a contact's S/MIME certificate, the
> path to that certificate being stored in a 'certfile field in their
> BBDB record. It doesn't work now, with the CVS version of BBDB. I know
> "bbdb-search-simple" will have to be switched to bbdb-search, but
> "bbdb-get-field" doesn't seem to exist anymore, and also this function
> returns "name must be atomic" before it even gets to that point. I
> assume that's because it's trying to find certfiles for all of "To" "Cc"
> and "From"? I tried stepping through with the debugger, but I'm not
> particularly good at using the debugger, and didn't have the patience,
> whacking "d" over and over again, to get to where the error was raised.
> Any advice?

Okay, I learned my debugger a little better and found that this message
is feeding sexps of the shape '("name" "em...@address.com") to
bbdb-search, which only takes a string or symbol. So I can figure that
much out.

Still not sure what to do about bbdb-get-field, though.
'bbdb-record-get-field' seems to be the only likely looking candidate,
except this function doesn't appear to accept arbitrary user-defined
field names…