On Sun Apr 24 2011 Leo wrote:
> On 2011-04-23 04:34 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> > I am tempted to say that all this can easily become fairly
> > complicated depending on the cultural habits for which you want to
> > use such a scheme, so that at best it will always only make a few
> > people happy. Always the question is not only about storing such
> > information but making practical use of it in a way that is
> > appropriate for the information recorded in such fields.
>
> The structure of the N field in vCard has survived version 2.1, 3.0 and
> 4.0 (upcoming). I think it covers nearly 100% of the use cases. In
> addition, the complexity isn't imposed and it allows no name info losses
> when syncing with other apps (e.g. iPhone).

I still have difficulties to figure out in a more specific way how
BBDB can pick up on this in a meaningful way

> >>From a different perspective, I want to note that the degree field
> > (which can get a better name) is designed to be a list of strings.
> > So if someone feels the need for keeping name prefixes and/or
> > suffixes in BBDB separate from the names themselves, it is fairly
> > straightforward to develop customized versions of the BBDB display
> > functions to make use of this information in whatever way that
> > matches the user's needs / taste.

The degree field could be renamed to a more generic "affix", which,
as I said, is a list of subfields anyway. The display of both the
name field and the degree / affix field are handled by the function
bbdb-display-name-organization. So if you like, you could use one
element of the affix list for prefixes, one for suffixes, one for
whatever, and ...
And you could modifiy bbdb-display-name-organization (which is a
function with a few lines of code) to do whatever you like.

Roland

PS: I'll rename the degree field to affix unless someone proposes
here a yet better name for such a field.