I'll spare you all the boring details, but essentially I'm having to
recreate my ~/.emacs from scratch.  I checked out the most recent code
from the Savannah repository today and followed the instructions in INSTALL
and README as best I understood them.  This gave me:

(require 'bbdb-loaddefs "~/.emacs.d/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-loaddefs.el")
(bbdb-initialize)
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init)

This did not do what I wanted:  automatically add or amend records in
~/.bbdb from Gnus articles.  So I went back to README and found

        Binding [bbdb-mua-auto-update-p] to a function is often most
        helpful for noninteractive use.  For example, you may want to
        bind bbdb-mua-auto-update-p to the function bbdb-select-message,
        see bbdb-accept-message-alist and bbdb-ignore-message-alist.  If
        a message is accepted by bbdb-select-message, the actual action
        performed by BBDB (i.e., the return value of
        bbdb-select-message) is given by bbdb-mua-update-records-p.

And in fact, C-h v says that bbdb-mua-auto-update-p is bound to
bbdb-select message.  As far as I can tell, setting

(setq bbdb-mua-auto-update-p t)

has no effect, and neither does doing the same to
bbdb-mua-update-records-p.  Clearly, I am misunderstanding something or
Doing It Wrong.  Can somebody point me in the right direction?