On Fri Sep 14 2012 Gijs Hillenius wrote:
> yeah, I could not get that working here either....
>
> However, Vincent Bernat suggests:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81908
>
> ,----
> | (add-hook 'bbdb-notice-mail-hook 'bbdb-auto-notes)
> | (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'vbe/gnus/bbdb-display-record)
> | (defun vbe/gnus/bbdb-display-record ()
> |   "Display appropriate BBDB record for the current message."
> |   (unless
> |       (bbdb-mua-display-records nil 'search)
> |     ;; No record found, close the BBDB popup
> |     (let ((window (get-buffer-window bbdb-buffer-name)))
> |       (when window (delete-window window)))))
> `----
>
> which works.

What problem is this patch supposed to solve? Why the call of
bbdb-auto-notes? I am not a Gnus expert. Yet it appears to me that
something is not working the way it is supposed to. There should be
no need to define such a function.

It should be sufficient to call

(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)

plus possibly customizing bbdb-mua-auto-update-p.
(See the README file.)