On Wed Aug 15 2012 Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> "Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:
> > I hope to learn something new here: In what way did you use the
> > electric mode of BBDB v2? What are you missing without it?
>
> I like the window configuration restored after using bbdb.

The patch below should fix this. Thanks to Martin Rudalics who
helped me with the window internals.

A proper solution requires GNU Emacs 24. For Emacs 23 the required
functions do not exist. As a workaround, you can now make the *BBDB*
window "weakly dedicated". That should most often have the same effect.

> On another note, it would be nice if there are settings for the
> window size both under and outside of a MUA. I would like to have
> a much smaller window in Gnus then if bbdb is called up
> interactively.

See the new variable bbdb-mua-pop-up-window-size which complements
bbdb-pop-up-window-size.

Also, I made bbdb-message-pop-up an obsolete alias for
bbdb-mua-pop-up. The latter name is more consistent with other
variable names.

Finally, this patch enables horizontal window splitting not only
with the mua-auto-update feature. But you get a horizontally split
BBDB window with any of the respective bbdb-mua-* commands, if the
value of bbdb-mua-pop-up is 'horiz.

2012-12-26  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-dedicated-window): New user variable.
        (bbdb-mua-pop-up): Renamed from bbdb-message-pop-up.  Doc fix.
        (bbdb-mua-pop-up-window-size): New variable.
        (bbdb-pop-up-window-size): Doc fix.  Allow value t.
        (bbdb-pop-up-window): Use it.  Simplify.  Use
        display-buffer-record-window / set-window-dedicated-p so that the
        BBDB window is popped up such that quit-window can delete it.
        Suggested by Martin Rudalics.
        (bbdb-display-records): Clean up.

        * lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-mua-mode-alist): New variable.
        (bbdb-mua): Use it.
        (bbdb-mua-window-p): New function.
        (bbdb-mua-display-records, bbdb-mua-edit-field)
        (bbdb-mua-auto-update): Use it.

BBDB is available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/
To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git