On Tue Sep 11 2012 Wes Hardaker wrote:
> One missing thing in my book is the bbdb-sc replacement.  I loved
> supercite but haven't been able to use it since going to bbdb3.  And,
> seriously, I'm constantly tempted to go back because a better binding
> doesn't exist.

I cleaned up the old file bbdb-sc.el to make it compatible with
BBDB 3 and made it part of the BBDB 3 repository on Savannah. Yet I
am not a supercite user myself; so I cannot check whether this code
works with BBDB 3 the way it is supposed to. Compared to BBDB 2,
nothing in the BBDB-Supercite interface should have changed.

Is there possibly anything about bbdb-sc.el that _should_ change to
get rid of oddities in this code or bring it otherwise up to speed
with BBDB 3 / more recent versions of supercite in GNU Emacs?
I noticed that bbdb/sc-set-attr calls bbdb-annotate-message.
Currently this happens with bbdb-annotate-message's arg UPDATE-P
being nil meaning 'update. Should this be customizable to allow more
aggressive behavior?

Comments welcome.

On Thu Dec 27 2012 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Ivan Kanis <ivan.ka...@googlemail.com> writes:
> >> bbdb-gnus.el contains some code for announcing BBDB records in the
> >> summary buffer. It includes the user variables
> >>
> >>   bbdb/gnus-summary-mark-known-posters
> >>   bbdb/gnus-summary-show-bbdb-names
> >>   bbdb/gnus-summary-prefer-bbdb-data
> >>   bbdb/gnus-summary-prefer-real-names
> >>
> >> controling what is actually displayed and when.  Is anyone using this?
> >> I found that it is rather difficult to figure out how these four
> >> variables control the "announcements".
> >
> > I am not using any of this.
>
> I'm not either, and wouldn't like to override names in the From header,
> but I would definitely use 'mark-known-posters' if it was easy to
> configure.

I tried to clean up these things:

- I realized that both Gnus and VM can support this. (I do not know
  about other MUAs, suggestions welcome.) So I gave the functions
  and user variables more generic names. The "real job" is now done
  by the functions bbdb-mua-summary-unify and bbdb-mua-summary-mark
  (see there).

- The user interface has been simplified: now there are fewer
  variables to configure, yet they give more options, see

    bbdb-mua-summary-unification-list
    bbdb-mua-summary-mark-field
    bbdb-mua-summary-mark
    bbdb-mua-summary-unify-format-letter
    bbdb-mua-summary-mark-format-letter

- Insinuation of this feature requires the usual call of
  bbdb-initialize for the respective MUA (Gnus / VM).

  Yet more importantly you need to customize
  gnus-summary-line-format / vm-summary-format, see
  bbdb-mua-summary-unify-format-letter and
  bbdb-mua-summary-mark-format-letter.
  The user variables gnus-summary-line-format and vm-summary-format
  are too complex to let bbdb-initialize do this job.

2012-12-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * configure.ac: Option --with-tex-dir renamed from
        --with-texmf-dir.

2012-12-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-sc.el: New file
        * lisp/Makefile.in, lisp/makefile-temp, lisp/bbdb.el
        (bbdb-init-forms, bbdb-initialize): Use it.

2012-12-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * INSTALL: List all BBDB configure options.
        * aclocal.m4, tex/Makefile.in: Option --with-tex-dir renamed from
        --with-texmf-dir.

2012-12-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-gnus.el: Do not use eval-and-compile.
        (bbdb/gnus-split-myaddr-regexp): Do not use obsolete variable
        gnus-local-domain.
        (bbdb/gnus-split-private-field, bbdb/gnus-split-public-field): Fix
        docstring.

        * lisp/bbdb-vm.el, lisp/bbdb-message.el, lisp/bbdb-mhe.el: Do not
        use eval-and-compile.

2012-12-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-mua-summary-unification-list)
        (bbdb-mua-summary-mark-field, bbdb-mua-summary-mark)
        (bbdb-mua-summary-unify-format-letter)
        (bbdb-mua-summary-mark-format-letter): New user variables.

        * lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-mua-summary-unify)
        (bbdb-mua-summary-mark): New functions.

        * lisp/bbdb-gnus.el (bbdb/gnus-summary-mark-known-posters)
        (bbdb/gnus-mark-known-posters)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-known-poster-mark)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-show-bbdb-names)
        (bbdb/gnus-header-show-bbdb-names)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-prefer-bbdb-data)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-prefer-real-names)
        (bbdb/gnus-header-prefer-real-names)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-user-format-letter)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-in-bbdb-format-letter)
        (bbdb/gnus-message-marker-field, bbdb/gnus-summary-get-sender)
        (bbdb/gnus-summary-sender-in-bbdb): Removed.
        (bbdb-insinuate-gnus): Use bbdb-mua-summary-unify and
        bbdb-mua-summary-mark.

BBDB is available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/
To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git