On Sat Feb 2 2013 Ivan Kanis wrote:
> This patch allows to rename e-mail completion with a function. I use it
> to strip accents from people's name. It does two things for me:
>
>  - I can complete french name without having to switch input method
>  - It puts name in the To: and Cc: field of my e-mail without accents. I
>    don't like RFC 2047 way of quoting accents.

Isn't this what currently the xfield mail-name is supposed to
handle? I understand that this can be cumbersome. But then I suggest
to introduce a user variable which, if non-nil, holds a function
called with one arg, the current record.  The function should return
a string NAME which bbdb-dwim-mail should use.
(As an alternative, one could also allow cons pairs (FIRST . LAST).)

This appears more flexible to me. What do you think?