On Wed Mar 20 2013 Gijs Hillenius wrote:
> 0) I just added a new record to my .bbbd. I do this by hitting the ':'
> key while reading an email message in Gnus. The new contact, lets call
> him "First O' Lastname" shows up immediately in the minibuffer, so far
> so good.
>
> 1) I know that I have a different email address from this contact, so I
> do a search in a few mail folders, find the person's earlier emails and
> open these. I expect bbdb to notice the alternate address and query me
> to add them, but it does not. So I hit ':' again.

In your example, I assume that all messages refer to the name "First
O' Lastname". Otherwise BBDB could not know that these messages
refer to the same person.

BBDB recognizes that the person "First O' Lastname" uses different
email addresses in different messages if the arg UPDATE-P of
commands like bbdb-mua-display-sender has the value 'update or
'query, see bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p. Also, bbdb-add-mails
should be 'query.

> Bbbd responds by saying the 'person' is not in the bbdb and
> queries me to add it. I hit 'y'. Now bbdb responds by saying the
> record is in the bbdb already.

What is the exact message you get? Which function issues this
message? - I do not get the behavior you describe. But instead BBDB
updates the existing record. I do not know what you are doing
differently.