Thanks for all the info and comparisons Stephen. I do appreciate it.
I've used mutt for a number of years, but now have to have Windows
running. Yes, I did specify text based, but I can use VM or gnus. What
I want is a separate email program that's just mine. I get a lot of
maillist mail and don't want others opening email program.

My problem is having to learn a new program and then learning lisp
stuff too, but if VM is easy to set up, I'll take a look at it :)

Thanks again.

However, still trying to figure out how to get it all working :)