On Fri Dec 13 2013 Eric Schulte wrote:
> The noticeable symptom is when I first try to tab complete I get a very
> long pause and see many messages of the following form.
>
> ,----
> | Duplicate BBDB record encountered: Eric Schulte
> `----
>
> Here's a slightly redacted first couple of lines from my bbdb file
>
> ,----
> | ;; -*-coding: utf-8-emacs;-*-
> | # -*- coding: utf-8-emacs -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: utf-8-emacs;-*-
> | # -*- coding: utf-8-emacs -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: utf-8-emacs;-*-
> | # -*- coding: utf-8-emacs -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: utf-8-emacs;-*-
> | # -*- coding: iso-2022-7bit -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-
> | # -*- coding: iso-2022-7bit -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-
> | # -*- coding: iso-2022-7bit -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-
> | # -*- coding: iso-2022-7bit -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-
> | # -*- coding: iso-2022-7bit -*-
> | ;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-
> | ;;; file-format: 7
> | ;;; user-fields: (mail-alias)
> | ["Amanda" ".." nil nil nil nil nil ("XXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXX") ((creation-date .
> "2008-06-10") (timestamp . "2008-06-10")) nil]

In a clean setup, you should have only two lines in your .bbdb
before the first record, which should read

;; -*- mode: Emacs-Lisp; coding: utf-8; -*-
;;; file-format: 7

But wait! The first line specifies also the coding system.  If you
do have non-ascii characters in that file, you should not change
that line unless you also explicitly convert the coding system.

It's strange that somehow you have more lines trying to specify a
coding system. It looks like at some point(s?) in time your system
wanted to switch from utf-8-emacs to iso-2022-7bit (or the other way
round?). In any case, all lines following the first line up to
(excluding)

;;; file-format: 7

are ignored by emacs and you can safely delete them

But you already have the current file format 7, so there is no
conversion anymore going on, and this does not cause a delay when
starting BBDB.

> ,----
> | Duplicate BBDB record encountered: Eric Schulte
> `----

As the message says: Your database is somehow screwed up with
multiple records with the same name (records for yourself?).
Also, you have bbdb-allow-duplicates set to nil (the default). This
will issue the above warning for each duplicate encountered and then
pause for a second, so that you can see these warnings.

You probably want to clean up your database from duplicates till
these warnings disappear.