On Thu Apr 24 2014 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I'm trying to create a custom xfield for records that is a list, not a
> string. So far as I can tell, it's only possible for xfield values to be
> strings. Is that correct? Is it possible to circumvent this at the
> moment?

By default, the values ox xfields should be strings.  Nonetheless,
there are various ways to go beyond that:

- bbdb-record-xfield-intern returns the interned value (i.e., a symbol)
  of an xfield LABEL

- bbdb-record-xfield-split splits the value as a list of strings.
  (See the source code of BBDB for how these functions are used in
  various places.)

- If you want to go beyond the constraint that the stored values of
  an xfield should be strings, this requires more of an effort.
  You need to define functions bbdb-display-XFIELD-LAYOUT and
  bbdb-read-xfield-XFIELD, plus possibly modifications elsewhere.
  I have not tried that myself as I did not find it necessary for
  anything I wanted to do with BBDB.

  The problem is that then your bbdb-file can be handled only if
  your customizations are first properly loaded.  This can make
  debugging more difficult.