On Apr 17, 2008, at 2:17 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

I've looked and looked, but how is it possible to reduce the list of languages which appear in the status bar list at the bottom of the editing window?

I don't think there's a way to reduce the size of the Language Menu list other than actually deleting installed languages from BBEdit's Language Modules folder at ~/Library/Application Support/BBEdit/ Language Modules/.

Of course, doing that will entirely remove support for the deleted language, so I don't imagine that's what you're looking for.

Perhaps a better approach is to write a simple AppleScript that can be invoked with a key combination to pop up a selection list of just your favorite languages. That's exactly what I did a while back. You can find my "BBEdit Set Source Language" script (and several other scripts) at:

   http://homepage.mac.com/dennisrande/FileSharing41.html

While this approach worked well for me, I've since gotten into the habit of just opening BBEdit's Language Menu with a key combination (Control-Option-L) and typing the first few characters of my desired language. YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Dennis